with GANIKDERMA® products
Contact dermatitis is inflammation of the skin caused by contact with an irritant. It is not contagious, nor has malignant potential. Skin is affected mainly in the area of the hands, feet and groin. Contact dermatitis can affect both sexes, all ages, but are most common in women than in men.
Most skin reactions after contact with certain chemicals are irritating, only about 20% are allergic. Contact dermatitis is installed in several days, weeks or months of contact with substance. The skin becomes red (erythematous), in frequent cases the skin may present blisters and itching is constant.
After scratching (scratching) vesicles break. If exposure persists, becomes chronic skin lesions, skin becomes thicker. The reaction is more pronounced at contact, but may erupt in other skin areas. Some areas of skin are affected most frequently, such as eyelids, genitals, neck, hands and back of the stretch interdigital fingers. This predilection is explained by the fact that in these areas the skin is thinner. For the same reasons, palms, soles and scalp are rarely affected.
In some patients, contact dermatitis manifest only in areas exposed to the sun, is called fotocontact dermatitis. Symptoms of contact dermatitis are:
- Pruritus (itching);
- Mild redness;
- Cracks and fissures of the skin;
- Areas of intense red color, wet (in severe cases).
The causes of dermatitis, include contact with irritants such as precious metals or belt buckles, acids or solvents. Hot water and detergents are common irritants. Irritating agent removes fatty layer of skin, causing dehydration and decreasing cell surface. Risk factors for contact dermatitis are constant exposure to hot water, detergents or any substance that alters water content (hydration) skin.
Treatment of contact dermatitis
To prevent contact dermatitis, avoid chemicals and materials that cause a rash, use bath oils, avoid dry skin friction (recommended by buffering), etc..
To treat contact dermatitis are recommended creams, ointments or lotions for topical application.
Dermatitis due to contact with allergenic substances is certified by epicutaneous or patch testing. This consists of applying small skin surfaces within 48 hours of a set of substances intended to reproduce in miniature allergic contact dermatitis. The reaction is read at 72 hours.
GANIKDERMA® in treatment of contact dermatitis
GANIKDERMA® is appied in a layer of 1 to 2 mm for the entire area of interest:
- If contact dermatitis is on the hands, apply the ointment 6-7 times a day, each time after the patient washed his hands with neutral soap and water.
- If contact dermatitis is located in other parts of the body, ointment is applied twice daily or after bathing or after the affected area was washed with neutral soap and water;
- Avoid contact with irritant, throughout treatment.
GANIKDERMA® offers the following solutions:
- Emollient: restore skin barrier function;
- Anti-inflammatory properties are given natural ingredients: phenol, oleocanthal, fatty acids that also favor restoring the lipid barrier of the skin. Subgallate bismuth has anti-inflammatory properties and is a hemostatic agent and antimicrobial;
- Neutral pH (6.5 to 7.5);
- Antibacterial action of phenolic acids, flavonoid, ferulic acid and ricinoleic acid, components of GANIKDERMA® ointment;
- Antiseptic action of Gum rosin and camphor